Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I have a rental property that is separate from my residence, can I claim work-space-in-the-home expenses? .

Form T776 Statement of Real Estate Rentals does not have work-space-in-the-home in the list of expenses, nor can I find it anywhere on the CRA website. Everything that I have found allowing a person to claim the home expenses has to do with business income but mine is classed as non-business rental income.

3 Replies

If I have a rental property that is separate from my residence, can I claim work-space-in-the-home expenses? .

The answer is no, you can not claim work space in the home for rental.

Thank you so much for the quick answer! Is this from your personal experience? Is there a specific reference on the CRA website or in the Income Tax Act that disallows the expense?

All the information regarding what can be claimed is found in the Rental Income Guide: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4036.html