Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisM2

My spouse & me sold an investment property, how do we now claim the capital gain between us since we're both owners? Can't find solution how to enter into TurboTax

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My spouse & me sold an investment property, how do we now claim the capital gain between us since we're both owners? Can't find solution how to enter into TurboTax

The capital gain should be reported on the Schedule 3. You can locate the Schedule 3 under "Investments".

Since you both own the property (assuming 50% ownership each), you will report your 50% portion on your respective Schedule 3. 

This is in addition to the amounts you need to report on the Rental Form (T776).

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The capital gain should be reported on the Schedule 3. You can locate the Schedule 3 under "Investments".

Since you both own the property (assuming 50% ownership each), you will report your 50% portion on your respective Schedule 3. 

This is in addition to the amounts you need to report on the Rental Form (T776).

chrisM2

So for Example if we its a 50/50 split, and we got the place for 50k, solid it for 100k, we would divide those numbers in half and report them on Schedule 3 for each spouse?? Correct?

Yes that is correct. You would each report 50K on your own Schedule 3.
Cookie19
Returning Member

Just reading this post, but I do not see where I capture the foreign tax credit, ie withholding tax.  I understand, how to do the capital gain in Schedule 3, but not how to get the foreign tax credit into my T2209 which is driven by other forms?  How do I enter the capital gain and the foreign tax credit on the sale of my house in California?

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to guide you. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When the system asks if you want an email answer NO to speak to a live person.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.