Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Climate Action Incentive keeps being applied automatically when I do not qualify. How can I remove it?

18 Replies

The Climate Action Incentive keeps being applied automatically when I do not qualify. How can I remove it?

If you live in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan or New Brunswick, you are eligible for the Climate Action Incentive. When you enter one of these provinces as your province of residence, the Climate Action Incentive amount is automatically applied to your tax return. 

If you do not live in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan or New Brunswick, here's how to change your province of residence:

1. Select Find in upper-right area.
2. In the Find window, type "province."
3. Select Province or Territory of Residence from the list of results, then select Go.
4. On the Where did you live at the end of the year? step, select your province/territory of residence where it says What province/territory did you live in on Dec 31, 2018?
5. Select Continue.

If you live in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan or New Brunswick, here's how to claim the Climate Action Incentive: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3726062

lkshmdnsh

The claim can be done by one of the individuals in a family right? How can i exclude the claim from my returns if my spouse has already claimed for it

To remove Climate Action Incentive- You will go to the "Provincial" section of your return and once there, the first page will have a list where you can check off what you'd like to claim. TurboTax automatically will claim it for you- but once you get to the provincial section you can make sure that you do not check off "Climate Action Incentive" federal credit available. Continue and it should not give you the credit. Once you continue and get to the review- it will advise that you qualify but you can skip that warning and keep completing your return. 

It still doesn't take it off my return even if I uncheck it. How can I get it off?

trim

I want to remove the Climate Action Incentive from my return but I go to remove this it will not remove from my return.    I have unclicked the box that I want to claim this incentive but it only removes my dependents portions but not that of myself or my spouse how to I do this?

Experiencing this too, and I've gone on two 30-minute calls with the TurboTax team without a resolution. And am going to pay $20 for a 0-return. Lol. I hope we get a resolution soon. 

We are sorry to see you have this problem. In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact us please follow this link: Contact Us form. Once you go through the steps and complete the form, the phone number to speak to a TurboTax agent will appear on the page. If the agent cannot resolve your issue please make sure you tell them you want to escalate the issue to a higher level.

Thank you for your patience. 

I have the same issue with some returns that people are not eligible to receive it and no way to delete the CAI credit. So mad for paying for something that I can’t even use and I work so no time to call and I’m not going to waist the little time I have on the phone. Been using the download version for years and never had issues with them but this year tried the online version and I’m scared to but the download version and waist more money!

I was using the Standard On-Line Version for 2020 tax year

Spent a lot of time on this one, very frustrating. It took a call with TT and a tier 2 rep to figure out.

I had selected the CAI not realizing my spouse had already filed so I had to remove the option. Even by de-selecting the option under Provincial tax profile, it was still applied.

The trick is to get back to the interview window which is closed after you pass through the first time.

To get to the interview window reselect the CAI option under Provincial Tax Profile and go to the 4th and 5th pages. These should be the interview pages where you are able to direct the tax credit. In my case, to my spouse and not me.

The number of pages may vary I suppose, depending on your profile and options selected.

Hopes this helps others