Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

During separation, transferred property to myself and 'bought out' spouse. Is this a 'sale of property' for me & would legal Fees for the transfer be tax deductible?

Does this transaction need to be declared as a "sale of property" by myself?  I still live in the principle residence. Spouse has been removed from the deed. 

1 Reply

During separation, transferred property to myself and 'bought out' spouse. Is this a 'sale of property' for me & would legal Fees for the transfer be tax deductible?

This wouldn’t be a sale of property for you, if you bought your spouse’s share of the property. For her it would be a sale/disposition, but for you it would be a purchase. So, you don’t need to report it on your tax return, at least not until you do actually sell the property.

Legal fees and transfer taxes for a purchase generally aren’t claimable unless you are using the property to earn income, or you are claiming moving expenses. You can subtract them from your adjusted cost based when you sell the property, though.