Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
For information on tax filing and Covid-19, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Legal expenses incurred on severance package paid out in 2014 - how do I claim this expense?

Hi - I received a severance package during 2014 and incurred legal cost in order to receive this payment.  How do I claim the legal costs on my tax return?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Legal expenses incurred on severance package paid out in 2014 - how do I claim this expense?

To enter this amount for online, go back to the PROFILE tab, then go to the first screen and check off Yes to:did you work in 2014?

Then check off: I was employed (includes commissions from employment)

then say Yes to: Did you have expenses related to your employment?

then check off: I had other employment expenses (legal fees to collect wages, reimbursement of salaries and wage loss replacement premiums)

then click Continue until you are asked to enter this info.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

To enter this amount for online, go back to the PROFILE tab, then go to the first screen and check off Yes to:did you work in 2014?

Then check off: I was employed (includes commissions from employment)

then say Yes to: Did you have expenses related to your employment?

then check off: I had other employment expenses (legal fees to collect wages, reimbursement of salaries and wage loss replacement premiums)

then click Continue until you are asked to enter this info.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I followed the above steps. It seemed to work fine first time. But when I tried to review this legal expenses amount (so I can update it) I could not find the screen and the box where I entered this amount. Can you go directly to the right page/form to enter this legal expense?