Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slkiyooka

Where do I enter rental income expenses as itemized on T776E (incurance, fees, repairs, property taxes etc)?

3 Replies

Where do I enter rental income expenses as itemized on T776E (incurance, fees, repairs, property taxes etc)?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

Rental expenses are located just after the rental income section of your return. 

Income tab - Rental Properties. 

1. On the left side, menu select Rental Properties
  1. It will ask the question “Did you receive income from a rental property?”
  2. Click “yes”
  3. As you continue through your return, the expense section will follow the income screens.
newleaf88

It is unclear whether Turbotax splits the rental income automatically in a co-ownership situation when filing taxes together with you spouse.

If rent is $10,000 per year, do I enter $5000 each or $10,000 each and it will figure out based on your listed your co-owner at 50%.

Same question for the expenses.  If we have $2000 of expenses do I enter $1000 each or $2000 and it will figure it out based on your listed co-owner at 50%?\

Thank-you for your feedback!

@newleaf88 Yes, if you and your spouse are co-owners, the income will be automatically split between you if you enter a percentage. Expenses will be split if you don't enter them as being for one partner. CCA will not be split.