Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I report my rental income and expenses (for partial rental in principal residence). Need more specific help vs under INCOME & EXPENSES

2 Replies

Where do I report my rental income and expenses (for partial rental in principal residence). Need more specific help vs under INCOME & EXPENSES

Note that if you are renting out a small portion of your primary residence, the income is treated as a way to cover your home ownership costs and does not need to be reported. However, if you are renting out 50% or more of the space, then you have to report it.

In the Find tool, type Rental Properties  and select Go. In the page that opens, follow the instructions to enter relevant details. If you need help locating or using the Find tool, review the information below: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3484165

Taxxer
Returning Member

I just saw this response as I was looking up a different issue. I do not believe this comment is correct. You have to file all income for rent, regardless of whether it is your primary residence or not. What is different is the expenses you can claim and how you claim them, as well as that you don't have to pay capital gains tax when you sell it.