Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gnarwulf

Where is the rent field in the business-use-of-home expenses section?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

Based on the info you are providing, you are entering this rent in the appropriate area.  The reason why this is not making any difference is that you probably have a Net business loss prior to claiming this expense.  You should be aware that you cannot increase or create a business loss by claiming office in the home expenses.  Any amounts not deductible in this regard because of this restriction can be carried forward and applied against your Net business income in a future year. For more info please see  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/slprtnr/rprtng/t2125/ln9945-eng.html 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MamaK

What form are you using?  If it is a business return form T2125: on Page 4, Part 8, Other - indicate rent.
gnarwulf

I'm not using the forms, I am just using Turbotax Online. I tried entering it in the Other - "rent" section and it made no difference on my return. Is that normal?
MamaK

Sorry I always buy the program, not familiar with on-line version.
fuzzy

Based on the info you are providing, you are entering this rent in the appropriate area.  The reason why this is not making any difference is that you probably have a Net business loss prior to claiming this expense.  You should be aware that you cannot increase or create a business loss by claiming office in the home expenses.  Any amounts not deductible in this regard because of this restriction can be carried forward and applied against your Net business income in a future year. For more info please see  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/slprtnr/rprtng/t2125/ln9945-eng.html