Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
faith1973

Where on the turbo tax forms can i enter my rent ? I do not see an obvious place to do so

5 Replies

Where on the turbo tax forms can i enter my rent ? I do not see an obvious place to do so

If you live in Manitoba or Ontario, you can claim a credit for rent paid.

To claim the “Manitoba Education Property Tax Credit (Rent Paid)”:

Under the “Provincial” tab, select “Provincial Tax Credit Profile”. There you can select Education Property Tax Credit Rent Paid or Property Taxes Paid.

Click the “Continue” button, and you will be asked a question regarding “Principal Residences”. Answer this and click “Continue”.

On the “Education Property Tax Credit” page you can click “Add New for [Name]”. This will take you to the “Manitoba Education Property Tax Credit (Rent Paid)” where you can enter the information needed for this credit. Click the “Save & Continue” button to save your information.

To claim your “Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit (OEPTC)” (part of the “Ontario Trillium Benefit”):

Under the “Provincial” tab, select “Provincial Tax Credit Profile”.

Click the “Continue” button to get to the “You may qualify for the 2018 Ontario Trillium Benefit” page.

Answer “YES” to “Did any of these apply to you and you want to apply for the 2018 OEPTC?”. If you lived in Northern Ontario, you can also say “YES” to “Did you live in a principal residence in Northern Ontario on December 31, 2017, and do you want to apply for the 2018 NOEC?”. Click the “Continue” button.

On the “Payments Related to your Principal Residence” page, you can you can enter information regarding your rent. Click the “Continue” button to save your data.

On the “Apply for 2018 Ontario Trillium Benefit” you can say “Yes” if anything applies to you. Click the “Continue” button when you are done.

Hi , on the new file I see "Enter the amount(s) paid for rent, property tax, home energy costs for a principal residence on a reserve, and/or accommodation in a public long-term care home"

So where should we enter the rent? Does this part include the rent?

@myusufi1 Yes. You enter your rent for the year, then choose rent as the payment type.

KarenA26

Where do I enter my rent line number would help?

@KarenA26 What province do you live in?