Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where to enter foreign income line 104, exempt foreign income deduction line 256, federal foreign tax credit line 405 & Quebec misc deductions line 296 & 297.

5 Replies

Where to enter foreign income line 104, exempt foreign income deduction line 256, federal foreign tax credit line 405 & Quebec misc deductions line 296 & 297.

Please review the link below to assist you in entering amounts for line 104

Line 256 has varying options for these amounts – see here https://bit.ly/2HHI6QX  from the CRA for more information

• Apply for the FTC -in your "Find" icon at the top of the page, type in "Foreign Tax Credit" which will open the form needed to apply for this credit, if applicable.

You can claim a foreign tax credit for the taxes that you paid in the foreign country. The foreign tax credit will be the lesser of two amounts:

• The income tax you paid on the foreign country
  • The Canadian tax payable on the foreign source of income.

TP1 line 296 & 297 come from various areas on your tax return, please see here https://bit.ly/2FAG02W from Revenue Quebec,

adriankcooktaxes
Returning Member

I can't figure out how to post a question myself, so I will be asking here as my questions are relevant to this thread, and not answered by any of the links provided.

From my research on this community forum, I understand that there are two ways to input a foreign income on Turbo Tax Online: 

Option 1 is:

- Income-> T-Slips -> Foreign Income - > Enter new foreign income

Here, you can enter a foreign income, with options for other pension income and foreign investment income. There are spaces to provide other pension and foreign investment income exempt under tax treaty, but **there is NO space provided for foreign employment income exempt under tax treaty**. 

Option 2 is:

- Income -> Employment Status -> Employment Status Profile -> Check "Received tips, gratuities, occasional earnings, or other employment income" then continue, and input your foreign income under "Other Employment Income". It seems this is the equivalent to Line 10400 (Other employment income). But, **this option also does not provide a space to input deductibles equivalent to Line 25600 on physical tax returns**.

My point is, neither option provides tax filers a place to input **Foreign Employment Income Exempt Under Tax Treat** or a space equivalent to Line 25600 (Additional deductions) on the physical tax returns.

I have spent **hours** looking for an answer, and have scoured through this entire community looking for answers. Most answers from Turbo Tax Moderators link to an article called "How do I enter foreign income that is subject to a tax treaty?" (<-this is the link). This link **does not work**. All other links provide no concrete details on **how and where to input this value on TurboTax online**.

My situation is that my entire foreign income is taxed by the country I work in (which is Japan), and due to a tax treaty between Canada and Japan I am exempt from paying any taxes on my entire income in Japan (as a factual resident of Canada). Thus, I want to file my foreign income, but not provide any details on taxes paid in Japan (as it is not necessary). I then want to remove my entire foreign income value as a deductible (either a tax treaty deductible or an equivalent to Line 25600).

I am starting to believe there simply is no equivalent to this in TurboTax's online platform. Please help; this seems to be an issue many people have, which has not been answered in any way.

Thank you for your time !

Where to enter foreign income line 104, exempt foreign income deduction line 256, federal foreign tax credit line 405 &amp; Quebec misc deductions line 296 &amp; 297.

Hi adriancooktaxes,

I am having the exact same issue as you! I can't seem to find where to input my foreign employment income that is exempt under a tax treaty (Germany). I have been searching everywhere and can't seem to find what we are both looking for. I am considered a resident in Canada for tax purposes for 2019, and I have tried to look at the article you mentioned that specifically answers this question, but the link is dead. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Where to enter foreign income line 104, exempt foreign income deduction line 256, federal foreign tax credit line 405 &amp; Quebec misc deductions line 296 &amp; 297.

Can you you tell me how to erase an amount that Turbo Tax put in line 10400 please?

I did not choose/check any options under "Employment status" that would populate to line 10400 (accordign to TT help), yet Turbo Tax put 64.25 there. I have T4 slips only for income, no other income. 64.25 is not a number I entered at all during the process. 

Please review this Canada Revenue Agency link for line 10400 as the amount may have come from another information slip or question answered in your return: Line 10400 – Other employment income.

You can verify the individual T-Slips by going in the left hand side menu in your return. First click on Income then on T-Slips then on the information slip you wish to view and then click on Edit in their corresponding screen to make changes then Continue to save the information.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.