Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t-m040

`while entering my T3 info an error message telling me my foreign capital gains cannot exceed my total capital gains. how do I fix this?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

`while entering my T3 info an error message telling me my foreign capital gains cannot exceed my total capital gains. how do I fix this?

If you have Foreign Capital Gains in Box 21 of your T3, you must enter the amount twice in order to remove that warning. Enter as "Foreign Capital Gains" and again as "Total Capital Gains".

View solution in original post

5 Replies

If you have Foreign Capital Gains in Box 21 of your T3, you must enter the amount twice in order to remove that warning. Enter as "Foreign Capital Gains" and again as "Total Capital Gains".

dwchoi1668
Returning Member

in 2022 Turbo tax Standard version,   I entered the same amount of foreign capital gain  on box 21, I STILL GET ERROR. I called turbo tax technical support, they could not help to resolve this error

@dwchoi1668 Try deleting the T3 form and re-entering it, or try entering it in Forms mode.

ultinet1

The reply says enter the amount twice.  OK....where do I enter it the second time?

@ultinet1  Enter as "Foreign Capital Gains" and again as "Total Capital Gains".