Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
forumrox

Why are capital losses being reported as gains? The system shows it as a "taxable capital gain" on the summary page, when it's a clear loss, according to the cost base.

3 Replies
forumrox

Why are capital losses being reported as gains? The system shows it as a "taxable capital gain" on the summary page, when it's a clear loss, according to the cost base.

Here is a capital gain/loss entry (removed company name) that clearly shows a loss https://prnt.sc/m22dsl yet it's being reported as a gain of 259.82 https://prnt.sc/m22eiu

It should be a loss of around -$123, not a gain.
forumrox

Seems the problem is with the ACB.  You need to calculate the ACB per share existing and multiply that by shares sold and enter that total in the box. That should be clearly stated. I tried total ACB and that didn't work - and I tried ACB per share alone and that didn't work either. Needs to be per share * shares sold.

Add a tooltip on hover or something to it please for those who don't know.

The Adjusted Cost Base (ACB) is a "calculation" not performed by the software. The screen in which you input the figures is the same as the CRA Schedule 3, which you also must make the calculation manually to arrive at your ACB.

I'll pass your suggestion on to the team to add a tip or hover to this section explaining that a little better, thanks for your input!