Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worked for only 3mnths in 2017.So do I need to put fuel cost, Insurance premium and maint. for 3mnths only under Motor Vehicle Expenses,or they calculate based onkms

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Worked for only 3mnths in 2017.So do I need to put fuel cost, Insurance premium and maint. for 3mnths only under Motor Vehicle Expenses,or they calculate based onkms

If you are entering these expense in the Employment Expenses section or the Self-Employment section, then the amount you can claim is based off of the number of kilometres you drove for employment/business purposes.

Since you only used your car for work purposes for 3 months, you can use the information from your logbook to determine what the total number of kilometres you drove during just that period, and use that instead of the total kilometres for the whole year. Enter the kilometres you drove for work and your expense amounts for just those 3 months. The program will calculate what portion of the expenses you can claim.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are entering these expense in the Employment Expenses section or the Self-Employment section, then the amount you can claim is based off of the number of kilometres you drove for employment/business purposes.

Since you only used your car for work purposes for 3 months, you can use the information from your logbook to determine what the total number of kilometres you drove during just that period, and use that instead of the total kilometres for the whole year. Enter the kilometres you drove for work and your expense amounts for just those 3 months. The program will calculate what portion of the expenses you can claim.