Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glynnrw1

T776 Rental Expenses : Where do you claim the mortage expense when you are renting part of yourhome?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

T776 Rental Expenses : Where do you claim the mortage expense when you are renting part of yourhome?

You are allowed  to claim only Mortgage Interest paid, not Principal.  Add it on T776 in the interest line.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You are allowed  to claim only Mortgage Interest paid, not Principal.  Add it on T776 in the interest line.

Fredguy

And is this deduction allowed if you are claiming the rental property as your principal residence even though you don't live there but still use it as your mailing address and rent it out 100%? 

In my case for 2019, since it was my first time renting out my property, I rented out the whole property starting in June of 2019 up to and including December 31, 2019.  I plan to write the required letter to the CRA that states I will continue to claim the property as my principal residence for that portion of 2019 (7 months)  despite my renting it out. 

I have also notice that I can also deduct condo fees, home insurance costs, and property taxes. Is this correct?