Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim storage fees uhaul rental fuel the flight back to BC for the guy I hired to drive my house items that were stored for 6 months in BC to where Im working in AB

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim storage fees uhaul rental fuel the flight back to BC for the guy I hired to drive my house items that were stored for 6 months in BC to where Im working in AB

You can claim expenses for packing, hauling and movers. CRA specifically mentions in-transit storage. I don't think 6 months of storage fees would pass the sniff test as it seems like an unreasonable amount of delay but that's a judgement call. The flight back for the guy you hired is also a grey area since travel costs are only deductible for moving yourself or family members, but he as the mover so would it be considered moving costs? Probably best to call the CRA for their advice cause the language they use is ambiguous.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can claim expenses for packing, hauling and movers. CRA specifically mentions in-transit storage. I don't think 6 months of storage fees would pass the sniff test as it seems like an unreasonable amount of delay but that's a judgement call. The flight back for the guy you hired is also a grey area since travel costs are only deductible for moving yourself or family members, but he as the mover so would it be considered moving costs? Probably best to call the CRA for their advice cause the language they use is ambiguous.