Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm a Canadian returning to Canada from the US after ten years there. I've not filed in Canada since my departure. Can I use TT for filing my first taxes upon my return?

I've been filing in the US since 2006 when I became a temp resident on a TN visa. I formally gave up my residency in 2006 in Canada and declared this on my last return here in 2006. Can I use TT to initiate my first tax return (2014) and also file in the US? I've been in the US for more than six months this year and have an investment property there (not to mention my personal investments are still in USD).

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm a Canadian returning to Canada from the US after ten years there. I've not filed in Canada since my departure. Can I use TT for filing my first taxes upon my return?

You can absolutely use TurboTax to complete a tax return if you have been in Canada for only a portion of the year! Be sure to verify your residency status with the CRA before starting your tax return.

The TurboTax Canada software only covers Canadian returns, but does allow the inclusion of foreign income, for example, pension and investments. If you are required to file a return with the IRS, you will need to purchase the TurboTax US software.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can absolutely use TurboTax to complete a tax return if you have been in Canada for only a portion of the year! Be sure to verify your residency status with the CRA before starting your tax return.

The TurboTax Canada software only covers Canadian returns, but does allow the inclusion of foreign income, for example, pension and investments. If you are required to file a return with the IRS, you will need to purchase the TurboTax US software.

you will need to print and mail for the first year 🙂