Pick a language

CanadaFrançais United States of AmericaEnglish
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Support
Intuit

As a parent, which credits and benefits can I claim?

Parents can claim certain tax credits and deductions to help with the costs of childcare and other parental expenses. We’ve gathered a list of common credits and benefits available to parents, including steps on how to claim them when filing your tax return. You may also be eligible for certain provincial and territorial credits based on your region.

The Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) helps individuals who can't work because they must care for their child under 12 or another family member. All COVID benefits that you received in 2020 will be on one T4A slip (or on your RL-1 if you live in Quebec). If you received a T4A slip, your CRCB amount is in box 204.

How do I enter my pandemic benefit amounts into TurboTax?

The Canada Caregiver Credit (CCC) may be available to you if you support a spouse, common-law partner, or dependant with a physical and/or mental impairment.

What is the Canada Caregiver Credit (CCC)?

How do I claim the Canada Caregiver Credit (CCC)?

How do I split the Canada Caregiver Credit (CCC)?

The Canada child benefit (CCB) is a tax-free monthly payment for families with children under 18. You won't receive a slip for this income. If you're separated or divorced, the parent primarily responsible for your child's care is the one who may be eligible for the CCB.

What is the Canada Child Benefit?

Why isn't the Canada Child Benefit (CCB) appearing on my return?

The GST/HST credit helps low to modest income individuals and families offset the tax they pay on consumer goods and services. In most cases, you simply have to file your taxes on time to receive the credit, even if you have no income to report. If you're a new resident of Canada or had another child, you'll need to manually register with the CRA to receive the GST/HST credit.

What is the GST/HST credit and how do I apply for it?

The eligible dependant credit helps single adults who are financially responsible for a dependant. Each household can make only one claim and the amount of the credit is reduced by your dependant's net income. 

What is the amount for an eligible dependant?

Who can claim the tax credit for an eligible dependant?

How do I add (or remove) the amount for an eligible dependant from my tax return?

Can I claim the eligible dependant credit for more than one child?

If you or your spouse/common-law partner paid someone to take care of your child under 16, you may be able to deduct the child care expenses to reduce your taxable income. The CRA normally requires these expenses to be claimed by the spouse/common-law partner with the lower net income.

What is the child care expenses deduction?

How much can I claim for child care expenses?

Why aren’t my childcare expenses being calculated on my return?

Where do I enter child care expenses in TurboTax?

How do I claim Covid-related childcare expenses in TurboTax?

How do I transfer child care expenses to the spouse or common-law partner with the higher net income?

You may be able to claim eligible medical expenses for your child or your spouse/common-law partner's child. Hold on to any relevant documentation in case the CRA asks you to support your claim.

What medical expenses can I claim?

How do I enter my medical expenses?

Can I claim medical expenses that I paid for a dependant who is not my minor child?

How do I enter medical expenses for dependants over 18 years of age?

The child disability benefit is a tax-free monthly payment for families with a child under 18 who has a physical or mental impairment. If you already receive the Canada child benefit for your child who's eligible for the disability tax credit, you'll automatically receive the child disability benefit and don't need to apply.

What is the Disability Tax Credit?

How do I claim the disability tax credit?

Is the Disability Tax Credit transferrable from a dependant?

How do I claim the disability tax credit transferred from my dependant?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in
v