Pick a language

CanadaFrançais United States of AmericaEnglish
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Support
Intuit

Can I claim medical marijuana or cannabis products as a medical expense?

Qualifying taxpayers can claim expenses for medical marijuana and cannabis products in order to receive the non-refundable medical expenses tax credit.

If you have a prescription and buy your products from a licenced seller with whom you’re a registered client, you can claim cannabis, cannabis oil, cannabis plant seeds, and cannabis products. If you legally grow cannabis for your own medical purposes, you cannot claim equipment costs such as pots, soil, nutrients, and lights.

As with other medical expenses, you can claim for any previously unclaimed 12-month period, as long as it ends within the tax year. Cannabis expenses are entered into TurboTax the same way as other medical expenses.

Note: Before you begin, complete the Setting Up/Introduction part of your return until the Find button appears.

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the menu.
  2. Type medical and select Medical Expenses Profile from the list of results, then select Go.
  3. On the Your Medical Profile screen, select all checkboxes that apply, then select Continue.
  4. On the Medical Expenses screen, you'll see the minimum amount of eligible medical expenses needed to generate a tax benefit.

Note: If the eligible medical expenses are less than the minimum amount displayed by TurboTax, select Done, as there aren't enough expenses to generate a tax credit. Otherwise, select Enter New Medical Expense and the Medical Expenses Receipt screen appears.

1. Fill out the form, then select Enter New Medical Expense, repeating this step until all receipts are entered.
  2. Select Done.
  1. Fill out the form once by entering the total amount of the medical receipts, then select Done.
  2. Make sure the date entered is in the same tax year as your return.

Note: Before you begin, complete the Setting Up/Introduction part of your return until the Find button appears.

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the menu.
  2. Type medical and select Medical expenses profile from the list of results, then select Go.
  3. On the Your Medical Profile screen, select all checkboxes that apply, then select Continue.
  4. On the Medical Expenses screen, you'll see the minimum amount of eligible medical expenses needed to generate a tax benefit.

Note: If the eligible medical expenses are less than the minimum amount displayed by TurboTax, select Done, as there aren't enough expenses to generate a tax credit. Otherwise, select Enter New Medical Expense and the Medical Expenses Receipt screen appears.

1. Fill out the form, then select Enter New Medical Expense, repeating this step until all receipts are entered.
  2. Select Done.
  1. Fill out the form once by entering the total amount of the medical receipts, then select Done.
  2. Make sure the date entered is in the same tax year as your return.
  3. The Medical Expense Summary screen appears. Review your information, and if more needs to be added, repeat the above steps. Once completed, select Done With Medical Expenses.

Related information

What medical expenses can I claim?

How does my income affect how much I can deduct for medical expenses?

Can I claim prior year medical expenses?

How do I choose a claim period for medical expenses?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in
v