How do I prepare a spousal or coupled return (Onli...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Intuit

How do I prepare a spousal or coupled return (Online edition)?

In the online edition of TurboTax, you are able to prepare your spousal/coupled return both before and after starting your return. Some of the steps may vary, so be sure to pay attention to the information regarding your specific return status below:

1. Sign in to your account through TurboTax.ca.
  2. Select Start a new return.
  3. Select the TurboTax Online product you wish to use and select Continue.
  4. Follow the prompts to enter your personal information. At Marital Status, select Married or Living Common-law. Additional fields will appear. Follow the prompts to enter your spouse or partner’s information.
  5. At Do you want to prepare your returns together, select Yes.
  6. Once you’ve completed all the fields, select Save and continue completing your returns.

Important: Once you save your personal information, you won’t be able to go back and change your selection at Do you want to prepare your returns together. To prepare your returns together, be sure to select Yes before you save.

If you’re preparing your returns separately but want to prepare them together instead, you will have to start a new return and indicate this:

1. Select the My Accounts and Returns tab on the side menu.
  2. Select Start a new return.
  3. Choose your TurboTax Online product and select Continue.
  4. Follow the prompts to enter your personal information. At Marital Status, select Married or Living Common-law. Additional fields will appear. Follow the prompts to enter your spouse or partner’s information.
  5. When asked who you are preparing this return for, select My Spouse/Partner and me.
  6. Once you’ve entered all your and your spouse or partner’s personal information, select Save and continue completing your returns.

Important: Once you save your personal information, you won’t be able to go back and change your selection at Do you want to prepare your returns together. To prepare your returns together, be sure to select Yes before you save.

Related information:

How do I add a spouse or common-law partner to my return in TurboTax Free?

As a married taxpayer, is it better to file my tax return together with my spouse, or separately?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in
v