If your computer is connected to the Internet, TurboTax automatically checks for updates (unless you’re using TurboTax 2014 or earlier). If an update is available, TurboTax will ask if you want to install it.
To check whether an update is available for TurboTax, follow the instructions below.
Before you begin
Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet.
- Open TurboTax on your computer.
- Select Help in the upper-left area of TurboTax.
- Select Check for Updates.A window opens with a message.
- Follow the instructions below, depending on what the message says.
- If the message says no update is available and TurboTax is up to date, select OK.
- If the message says an update is available, follow the instructions to update TurboTax.
If updating TurboTax from the Help menu doesn’t work, we recommend uninstalling TurboTax and then downloading the latest version from our website. Don't worry—this won’t delete any tax returns that you’ve saved.
To remove TurboTax and then download the most up-to-date version, follow the instructions below.
- Follow these instructions to uninstall TurboTax (click here: link).
- Restart your computer.
- Visit this webpage (click here: link) and download the TurboTax product that you’re using.
- Open TurboTax when it has downloaded onto your computer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install TurboTax.
To complete the installation, you’ll need to enter the installation key you received when you purchased TurboTax.
Note: These instructions are for the TurboTax CD/download edition. You do not need to update the TurboTax online edition.