Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Support
Intuit

Where in TurboTax CD/Download can I find a tax return I've already started or completed?

By default, TurboTax saves your tax data files in the Documents folder on your computer. The specific folder location is C:Users<user_name>DocumentsTurboTax<YYYY>, where <user_name> is your Windows username and <YYYY> represents the tax year.

For example, Alex Smith is looking for a 2018 tax return and Alex's Windows username is asmith. If Alex saved the tax return to the default location, it'll be located at C:UsersasmithDocumentsTurboTax2018. To open a tax return, double-click the corresponding tax data file.

When you start TurboTax, the Welcome to TurboTax! page shows the tax returns you're currently working on, or that you've worked on recently.

1. Select Continue your return next to the return you want to open.

If your tax return isn't appearing on the Welcome to TurboTax! page, complete the following steps to open your tax return:

1. Select File from the TurboTax menu.
  2. From the File menu, select Open.
    • (Alternatively, select the Open icon TurboTax CD-download edition_Open button/icon on the ribbon.)
    • The Open dialog box appears and displays the location where TurboTax saved your tax return.

3. In the Open dialog box, select the file corresponding to the tax return you want to open, and then select Open.

Related information:

I'm using TurboTax CD/download edition but can't find the file on my computer that contains my tax return

Where do I find my TurboTax CD/Download file from last year to transfer into this year’s return?

In the TurboTax CD/download edition, how do I transfer information (carry forward amounts, etc.) from my previous year's tax return?

In TurboTax Online, how do I transfer my information (personal details, carry forward amounts, etc.) from my previous year's tax return?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in
v