How do I enter my rental income and expenses in Tu... - Community

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

Français English
For information on tax filing and Covid-19, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
,Created with Sketch.31 helpful votes

How do I enter my rental income and expenses in TurboTax?

Rental income is income you earn from renting property that you own or have use of. You can own the property by yourself or with someone else. Rental income includes income from renting:

  • houses
  • apartments
  • rooms
  • space in an office building
  • other real or movable property

If you’re a partner and you received a T5013 slip

  1. Select Find in the upper-right hand corner.
  2. Type T5013.
  3. Select T5013 Partnership Income from the list and then select Go.

If you don’t receive a T5013 slip

You need to prepare a separate rental statement for each rental property you have. Canadian and/or foreign rental income and expenses are reported in the same section of TurboTax.

  1. Select Find in the upper-right hand corner.
  2. Type Rental Properties and then select Go.


  • Enter only deductible expenses that you were not reimbursed for and have not deducted elsewhere
  • If you rent out a part of the building that you live in, you can claim only the portion of your expenses that relate to the rented part of the building.

If you are a co-owner or member of a partnership:

  • Enter your percentage of ownership in the Identification section and complete the Details of other co-owners and partners section, including the co-owners/partners percentage of ownership.
  • Enter the total gross income; do not enter just your portion/share

Related information

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in