Are there disadvantages to splitting my spouse's p...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Intuit

Are there disadvantages to splitting my spouse's pension income?

By splitting pension income with your spouse or common-law partner, you (the "pensioner") can lower your net income and reduce the amount of tax you pay. However, as you lower your income, you increase the income of your spouse (or the “pension transferee"). This increase in income could result in the pension transferee having to make instalment payments in the following year. Installment payments must be paid if the taxpayer owes $3,000 or more (or $1,800 for Québec residents).

It’s also possible for the transferee’s income to increase enough to trigger a reduction in the Age Amount credit and trigger a clawback to the amount of Old Age Security received in the tax year, which can also benefit the Age Amount and Old Age Security clawback amounts for the transferor.

When you prepare your returns together, TurboTax optimizes your split pension income to help determine the best amount to transfer. The Pension Splitting Optimizer cannot consider programs outside of the tax system that is based on individual income levels, such as:

• renters' assistance
  • nursing home assistance
  • income-based drug coverage
  • reduction in Old Age Security (OAS) benefits

Related information:

How do I split my pension income with my spouse?

How does the Pension Splitting Optimizer work?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in
v