Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
If you are using the CD/download version of TurboTax and you're getting a TT805 error, please read

this message

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Intuit
,Created with Sketch.9 helpful votes

How can I protect myself from a CRA audit?

The best way to protect yourself from an audit is to prepare and file a complete and accurate tax return (though even returns that are 100% accurate are often reviewed to ensure the consistency of the system).

Each year, the CRA conducts a number of different reviews and checks to promote awareness and compliance of tax laws. It’s important to keep copies of all your receipts, slips and supporting documentation (the CRA recommends keeping records for six years, as a general rule of thumb), in the event your return is reviewed or audited.

For extra peace of mind, consider adding Audit Defence to your TurboTax return. With Audit Defence, a professional from Canada TaxResources, Inc. will defend you throughout the entire review and/or audit process, from receipt of the first notice to completion of the audit.

Note: Be sure to purchase Audit Defence before you file your tax return to ensure you’re covered in the event the CRA contacts you.

Related information:

Frequently asked questions about Audit Defence

Avoid common audit triggers

Using My Account to avoid being selected for an audit

Common audit triggers and ways to avoid them

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in