Note: If you purchased TurboTax on CD and it won’t install, please download a copy of the software from this link instead: Download the CD/download edition of TurboTax
Things you need to consider before you begin installing TurboTax
- To ensure that TurboTax is compatible with your system, review the system requirements.
- Keep your TurboTax installation key
- Log on to Windows using an account with administrator privileges; that is, do NOT use guest accounts or standard user accounts. (How to determine user account type in Windows)
- To activate your TurboTax software, make sure you have Internet access from your computer. Alternatively, you can activate TurboTax over the phone.
- To ensure that the TurboTax activation process over the Internet goes smoothly, consider temporarily disabling all antivirus, firewall, and antispyware software.
- Open the Downloads folder or the location where you downloaded the TurboTax installer.
- To start the installation process, double-click the TurboTax installer.The TurboTax installer file name is TurboTaxXXXX_*YYYY.exe, where XXXX represents the tax year and *YYYY represents the build number.
- Follow the instructions on the screen, clicking Next to move through the process.
- On the Ready to Install screen, select Install.
- Once the installation is complete, select Finish.The Enter Installation Key window appears.
- Enter your installation key and select Next.The Choose Activation Method screen appears.
- Select an activation method and complete the instructions on the screen.(We recommend Internet Activation.)
Enable all antivirus, firewall, and antispyware software if you disabled them before installing TurboTax.