turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are we eligible for a free turbotax product? Social Security retirement income is $29,400. I made less than $5,000 selling online. Spouse is too ill to do taxes.

I've never done taxes and find it quite intimidating!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Are we eligible for a free turbotax product? Social Security retirement income is $29,400. I made less than $5,000 selling online. Spouse is too ill to do taxes.

If you qualify to use it, there is another full-featured free version of the software:

Try Free File: 

You qualify if your income was $39,000 or less, or $72,000 or less if active duty military, or if you qualify for Earned Income Credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

Note:  If you do not qualify to use Free File then you will have to upgrade to Deluxe or higher in the paid versions of the software.   

Online Deluxe $40  State software $40

Or—-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

If your TurboTax fees are higher than expected, you can reduce them by removing add-ons:

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you, xmasbaby0 for your response!  I did immediately try the free file link you sent, and am near the end of that form.  The next page is "file".  But nowhere was I asked about additional income which makes me uncomfortable.  This is the second online form I've almost completed, only to realize or suspect it's the wrong form along the way.  There seems not to be clarity at the start of a form so that it has become a "trial and error" exercise.  My online sales were modest, but in spite of my vast tax ignorance, it seems they should be included.  Again, thank you so so much!

What "additional" income are you worried about?   If you tell us what kind of income you need to enter then we can help you with where to enter it.   It is important to include ALL of your income on your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

In an effort to supplement our social security, I began selling thrifted items on eBay and Poshmark.  During 2020, due to the pandemic and my spouse's compromised immune system, I quit thrifting.  My total income from reselling in 2020 was $6,274 (not my $5,000 guesstimate as previously stated).  So total income from social security and online selling during 2020 totals $35,675.  Thank you for trying to help me.  Being unexpectedly saddled with doing taxes when I am so utterly inexperienced has been very stressful, so I am just so grateful! 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You will need to file a sch C business return so you can claim the expenses.  This will cause you to upgrade your return.  See Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center for help with the schedule C.

Follow this answer from @mesquitebean

If you need to switch from the TurboTax IRS Free File Program back to paid Online TurboTax, it's possible to do that this year.   Here are the steps, which allow you to keep the same account and your already-entered data:

• First log out of all Intuit accounts. 
  • Delete your browser Internet cache and any Intuit-related cookies.
  • Close your browser and reopen it.
  • Go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/
  • When you arrive there, do NOT sign in yet.
  • Choose the product you want like you hadn't even started a return before, and click on "Start for Free".
  • It will ask how you did your taxes last year.  Say "TurboTax", and then it will ask you to sign in.
  • When you log in, it may recognize you were using the IRS Free File Program and should ask you if you want to switch to a TurboTax commercial product and not use the IRS Free File Program anymore.   Say "yes".
  • Hopefully, that will put you back in regular Online TurboTax while keeping your originally-entered info.
  • If it doesn't, then try using a different browser and following the steps above.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My first attempt at completing taxes has been a dismal, discouraging, extremely stressful experience, but I do appreciate the attempts on this forum to address my issue. I tried contacting turbotax by phone, thinking it would be helpful to speak to someone directly.  Instead, I found myself in the position of trying to explain my issue to a recorded voice whose goal it was to defer my call and send "help" via text or email.  Trying to explain details and particulars to a recorded voice is akin to mental torture.  It was only after repeatedly insisting that I needed to speak to a human being on my third call that I was connected to a turbotax representative in physical form.
I explained my problem.  She said she was emailing the answers I needed.  Her email did not address my questions, let alone answer them.  Sheer desperation prompted me to call turbotax one more time. Life experience has taught me that CS reps are not cut from the same cloth.  The next turbotax rep was simply phenomenal.  I felt like I'd found a vein of gold while digging in the garden.   He was knowledgeable, professional, and actually shadowed me and walked me through the entire free product, and knew how to account for my modest online sales.  The form was e-filed. I wanted to adopt him!
It was subsequently rejected by the IRS due to an AGI issue, and I paper filed.  Still, I could not have completed my taxes without this help. My strong sense is that the help I did finally receive, which took over an hour,  is not typical for their free products.  I've no idea how I got so lucky.  One rather telling observation was that while he said he was emailing a form so I could rate his assistance, the first representative I spoke to did not mention rating her assistance or emailing such a form. 
In the end, it was not necessary to upgrade.  But I found the turbotax free product to be woefully lacking in clarity re my specific situation, and met a good deal of resistance from turbotax to giving me the clarity needed to proceed on my own, either by phone or online. I won't speculate as to why that might be.  I am too happy to see an end to a nightmare to dwell on it beyond this post!  🙂  

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

@gloomndespair  Thank You for sharing your experience.  I am very sorry for your first experience with the phone agent and glad the last agent concluded you with an exceptional experience.  If you decide to stay with TurboTax, I will recommend you to ask you questions here in Community before calling the customer service.  In this forum, I believe you will appreciate more the responses either from our experts or the Champion users and it will save you a longer wait time as well.  We work like a great team.  Hope you have a great summer and look forward to hearing from you next year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies