Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to add my gas for the year as i do home care. can you tell me how to input it in employment expenses section?

6 Replies

I am trying to add my gas for the year as i do home care. can you tell me how to input it in employment expenses section?

If you do home care, presumably you mean you are self employed...if so, then you don't use the employment expenses section.  You will want to enter your revenue and expenses, including vehicle expenses, as a business. 

When you include vehicle expenses, you need to know how many km were driven total for the year, and how many km were driven for the purpose of earning money in your business.  You then record your total vehicle expenses (gas, insurance, maintenance, etc) and it is a percentage of this amount, based on the ratio of business km to total km, which is used as an expense.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/sole-proprietorships-partners...

If you are employed, then you will need a signed T2200 from your employer in order to claim any employment expenses

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

I work for a company not self employed. I am confused as to how I enter gas. Do i enter gas and repairs in the hst section or in the zero exempt section.

depends...does the company you work for charge gst/hst?

And do you have a signed T2200 from your employer stating that you were required to use your own vehicle for the purpose of your employment?
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-re...

It is because they now charge you to add these even if you are not self employed. They don't make it clear anywhere at all. It is a bit of a scam as far as I am concerned, many companies make their employees pay their own fuel expenses. But more frustrating is that you have to stumble around in TurboTax forever but will see no info on this. Last year I finally paid for the business version so I could add my wife's fuel expenses. She works for a company.