Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bichpoo05

Anyone know how to claim 2019 office expenses? I worked from home in 2019 and received a T2200 but never claimed on 2019 taxes. Want to know what I can carry forward

1 Reply

Anyone know how to claim 2019 office expenses? I worked from home in 2019 and received a T2200 but never claimed on 2019 taxes. Want to know what I can carry forward

Thank you for choosing Turbotax, 

You cannot deduct expenses from a previous year on this year’s tax return. You can only deduct expenses in the year that you paid for them.

You can deduct expenses you paid in the tax year for the employment use of a workspace in your home. However, If you cannot deduct all your workspace expenses in the year, you can carry forward the expenses.  You can deduct these expenses in the following year as long as you are reporting income from the same employer. You still cannot create or increase a loss from employment by carrying forward workspace expenses, but you can use it to reduce taxes owing. However, if you did not need to use the expenses to reduce the employment income from that particular job, you could carry them forward.

However, you can still deduct your workspace expenses from your tax return, these are the steps that you should follow,

1. You need to adjust the 2019 return to add the Workspace of Home Expenses
  2. You need to wait for the 2019 adjustment to be processed if you are claiming a carry forward amount on the 2020 return.

Please visit our Turbotax article on Can I Deduct Work-At-Home Expenses? to learn more about how to deduct your home office expenses.