Solved: As an independent contractor, when I file taxes vi...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
For information related to Covid-19 and how to get help if you lost your job, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

As an independent contractor, when I file taxes via Home & Business ed'n, do I also need to file corporate taxes separately, or does it cover both personal & business?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

As an independent contractor, when I file taxes via Home & Business ed'n, do I also need to file corporate taxes separately, or does it cover both personal & business?

Assuming you have a corporation, your corporate return is separate from your personal tax return.  I rather suspect that any business expenses should be claimed in the corporate return.  You might still show yourself as a subcontractor to the corporation, there are different ways to show yourself being paid from the corporation, however if you did show yourself as a subcontractor you would complete the self employed section for your personal taxes just showing the amount paid from the corporation, with no expenses.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted

Assuming you have a corporation, your corporate return is separate from your personal tax return.  I rather suspect that any business expenses should be claimed in the corporate return.  You might still show yourself as a subcontractor to the corporation, there are different ways to show yourself being paid from the corporation, however if you did show yourself as a subcontractor you would complete the self employed section for your personal taxes just showing the amount paid from the corporation, with no expenses.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Scroll down this link and you will see a TurboTax product for preparing a T2 (corporate) return.

http://turbotax.intuit.ca/business-tax-software/catalogue.jsp
Highlighted
Level 4

What Jeffrey said.

Also, when you pay yourself from a corporation that you own, the implications on both your personal and corporate taxes can be complex. If the amounts involved are significant, it might be worth your while to invest a few bucks for a consult with an accountant.

Highlighted

I have a lot of fun with it with my own clients 🙂