Associate Membership fee required for courses

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

Français English
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Associate Membership fee required for courses

I was required to become an Associate Member of an association in order to take courses for a certification to try to improve my job prospects.  I was unemployed while taking the course and the fees were not included in my T2202A.  How do I claim these fees?  

1 Reply

Associate Membership fee required for courses

I've not been able to find anything specific from CRA saying these fees qualify as deductible Tuition Fee, however it may fall under this description:

"Examination fees paid to an educational institution, professional association, provincial ministry or other similar institution, to take an occupational, trade or professional examination that is required to obtain a professional status recognized by federal or provincial statute, or to be licensed or certified as a tradesperson, to allow you to practice the profession or trade in Canada, may be eligible for the tuition tax credit. You should be provided with a receipt to substantiate your eligible exam fees". 

You should contact CRA for clarification on this. If it is indeed a qualifying deduction, and over $100, you can enter it in TurboTax as "Tuition Fees on a Receipt" in the Student Profile.