Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scout

Can I claim a business expense from 2016 in this year's return?

I purchase my business kit (independent consultant for a direct sales company) at the end of 2016, but didn't earn any commission in 2016, so I didn't claim it. Can I claim that expense this year?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
taxnano

Your business year end determines when you can claim the expense. The fiscal year end is usually December 31, therefore you cannot claim the expenses in 2017. However, you can do one of two things; first go back and adjust your 2016 income tax. The adjustment might create a loss which can be carried forward to 2017. Secondly, you can choose a year end that ends after December. However, CRA prefers a fiscal year that ends in December 31. It is more easier to manage going with a calendar year January to December. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
taxnano

Your business year end determines when you can claim the expense. The fiscal year end is usually December 31, therefore you cannot claim the expenses in 2017. However, you can do one of two things; first go back and adjust your 2016 income tax. The adjustment might create a loss which can be carried forward to 2017. Secondly, you can choose a year end that ends after December. However, CRA prefers a fiscal year that ends in December 31. It is more easier to manage going with a calendar year January to December.