Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mandr

Can I claim my training expenses (flight time) for my commercial pilots licence if the flight training unit hasn't provided me a tax receipt?

The flight training unit hasn't applied to the government to issue the tax forms but is an established flight training unit.

4 Replies

Can I claim my training expenses (flight time) for my commercial pilots licence if the flight training unit hasn't provided me a tax receipt?

CRA requires the completion of the T11B form in order for you to claim your flight training hours as tuition.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/formspubs/pbg/tl11b/tl11b-fill-17e.pdf

JPLap

It seems like the TL11B form isn't available on the CRA website for 2019 (last available one is 2018). Is it still tax deductible? Do they use the 2018 form for 2019 as well? Or is it a completely new form to use?

Thanks,

JP

qadknight

Starting in 2019 TL11B is no longer used.  Use form T2202.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

An official receipt has to be issued from the school with the amount that you can claim and it must be more than $100.  A regular receipt does not qualify because many tuition fees are reimbursed by employers, federal, or provincial programs > this is why an official receipt from the institute is required.  

I hope this was helpful