Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I claim CCA on a condo in its occupancy stage (the building hasn't registered, and I haven't had a closing on it yet, but I have rental income).

Should I claim Capital Cost Allowance (CCA) on my taxes (T1159 / T776) for a condo if it's still in the occupancy stage (building hasn't registered). I have rental income, but haven't had the closing on it yet. Also, since I haven't closed on it yet, I don't know the closing costs. Are closing costs usually included as part of the cost of the building? Thank you.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I claim CCA on a condo in its occupancy stage (the building hasn't registered, and I haven't had a closing on it yet, but I have rental income).

Closing costs are included as part of the cost of the building when adding it as an asset.  You will have to report the income, and use whatever costs you have had for utilities, and other fees or expenses.  You will have to wait to claim CCA until next year. You will be able to do a T1 adjustment once the costs are all in to add it in the correct year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Closing costs are included as part of the cost of the building when adding it as an asset.  You will have to report the income, and use whatever costs you have had for utilities, and other fees or expenses.  You will have to wait to claim CCA until next year. You will be able to do a T1 adjustment once the costs are all in to add it in the correct year.