Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wandrews

Does TurboTax Standard help to identify and calculate expenses against freelance writing income

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does TurboTax Standard help to identify and calculate expenses against freelance writing income

It looks like you are using the Desktop software.  If you are going to claim the freelance writing as casual income, then you are going to have to calculate the net income yourself and report it.  To report it in TurboTax Standard desktop edition you click "Income & Expense" in the left hand column, then select "Employment Status."  You will be brought to a screen with a checklist...you would make sure the top item is checked, "Received tips, gratuities, occacional earnings, or other employment income."  When you click "Continue" you will be brought to a screen where you can enter the net freelance earnings as occasional earnings.

If you are going to report the income as Self Employment income, then you will want to click "Income & Expenses" in the left hand column, then select "Self Employment."  In the checklist that appears, select the last choice in the list, "Other type of business" and then click "Continue" and follow the prompts to enter your revenue and expenses.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

It looks like you are using the Desktop software.  If you are going to claim the freelance writing as casual income, then you are going to have to calculate the net income yourself and report it.  To report it in TurboTax Standard desktop edition you click "Income & Expense" in the left hand column, then select "Employment Status."  You will be brought to a screen with a checklist...you would make sure the top item is checked, "Received tips, gratuities, occacional earnings, or other employment income."  When you click "Continue" you will be brought to a screen where you can enter the net freelance earnings as occasional earnings.

If you are going to report the income as Self Employment income, then you will want to click "Income & Expenses" in the left hand column, then select "Self Employment."  In the checklist that appears, select the last choice in the list, "Other type of business" and then click "Continue" and follow the prompts to enter your revenue and expenses.

Here is a screen shot showing the Self Employment option in TurboTax Standard desktop

The user may find that the left hand column on TurboTax standard is now locked.  He will be able to click on the forms icon, click on T1 general and then double click on line 130 to get to the options for "other income".  Foe self-employment, it will be necessary to click on the forms icon and type in T2125B.

Freelance writing is not reported at line 130, it is reported at line 104.  If the income is low enough it qualifies as casual income, and included in calculations for rrsp contribution limits.  Also, having TurboTax desktop standard on my computer...I am quite able to get to the Easy Step entry for self employment.

Have you got a secret method?  I ask because mine, which I purchased online is locked.

Nothing secret.  It's handy to have for TT clients...for myself, I use Profile, another fine product from Intuit, for my T1 clients...but then I have my efile license.

But my TT desktop Standard does indeed allow self employment entries...though casual income at line 104 is easy to enter, just follow the directions I posted in my original post.  Someone that earns tips certainly doesn't need software for self employment income, they just need to make sure the tips are recorded also as casual income at line 104.

Once again to the add a picture

I will add a screenshot when I get to the office tomorrow.