Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim counceling fees for My daughter who suffers from deprssion

Our daughter turned 18 in June 2015. She suffers from depression and was also hospitalized during the year.She is seeing a councelor and I would like to know where I can claim this amount since we are paying for it. She is living with us
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Here is a link to medical practitioners, that can be claimed as a medical expense. It varies province to province.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/330-331/ampp-eng.html

If the counseling is by an approved practitioner, based on your province, you would claim the amount under medical expenses for a dependent over 18.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Which province do you reside in?

Here is a link to medical practitioners, that can be claimed as a medical expense. It varies province to province.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/330-331/ampp-eng.html

If the counseling is by an approved practitioner, based on your province, you would claim the amount under medical expenses for a dependent over 18.

Thank you so much. This helps a lot. Where would I claim it with turbo tax? Just under medical expense?

There is a specific entry in medical expenses, for a dependent over 18. Are you using TurboTax online or installed on to your computer?

I am using it online. She only turned 18 in June so how would I claim this. Thanks for all your hep

It is based on year of birth. All dependents born in 1997 or earlier- go under "other dependants" medical expenses.

1. Click on DEDUCTIONS tab.
2. Down to Medical Expenses Profile
3. Make sure to checkmark- You paid medical expenses for a dependant (other than your spouse or children under 18 years of age)
4. You will first go through your/your spouse medical expenses, then you will get to a screen " Medical Expense For Other Dependants". This is where you will select her name and enter the details of the expense.

When looking at your return, you will see this specific credit on line 331.

Note- Make sure she is entered as a dependant, in INTRO, and that her net income is entered, correctly. Her net income will affect your medical expense claim.

Thank you. Just one more question. They ask for the date of the expense. It was for almost a year so which date should I enter?