Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I calculate work from home days "due to covid" when I already work from home?

1 Reply

How do I calculate work from home days "due to covid" when I already work from home?

According to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), the eligibility criteria is: If your employer provided you the choice to work at home because of Covid-19, then you may claim your work from home days. If your regular duties are to work from home and Covid-19 did not have an effect on your work situation, then you are not allowed to claim it. The reasoning for working from home must be due to Covid-19.

If you do work at home due to Covid-19, There is 3 other criteria that you may follow:

* You worked more than 50% of the time from home for a period of at least 4 consecutive weeks in the year.

* You are only claiming home office expenses and are not claiming any other employment expenses on line 22900

* Your employer did not reimburse you for all of your home office expenses

You may then claim every single day that you worked from home due to the situation, at a rate of $2 per day with the flat rate method.

For more information, check out: Canada Revenue Agency - Home Office Expenses

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.