Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
victor11

How do I claim capital gain on the sale of small business?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The answer to your question is not a simple one. Firstly I will assume that the business was operated as a sole proprietorship and not as a incorporated entity.

(If Inc. seehttps://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/do-you-qualify-for-the-capital-gains-deduction-2-6348 ).

The treatment of the proceeds from the sale of a business depends on the allocation of the purchase price in the sales agreement. Such that monies were earmarked for Capital assets (Land, Building or Equipment), for Inventory or Goodwill (client list).

Tax consequence is different for each classification. You need to address any outstanding UCC of capital assets first. Then deal with disposal of Inventory against "On Hand" balances. Goodwill can be subject to Capital Gains (if identified in the purchase).

The complication arises in what is advantageous to a seller may not be advantageous down the road to the buyer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The answer to your question is not a simple one. Firstly I will assume that the business was operated as a sole proprietorship and not as a incorporated entity.

(If Inc. seehttps://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/do-you-qualify-for-the-capital-gains-deduction-2-6348 ).

The treatment of the proceeds from the sale of a business depends on the allocation of the purchase price in the sales agreement. Such that monies were earmarked for Capital assets (Land, Building or Equipment), for Inventory or Goodwill (client list).

Tax consequence is different for each classification. You need to address any outstanding UCC of capital assets first. Then deal with disposal of Inventory against "On Hand" balances. Goodwill can be subject to Capital Gains (if identified in the purchase).

The complication arises in what is advantageous to a seller may not be advantageous down the road to the buyer.