Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim material expenses for art installation projects?

4 Replies

As per CRA - You can deduct expenses you paid in 2019 to earn employment income from an artistic activity if you did any of the following:

• composed a dramatic, musical, or literary work
  • performed as an actor, dancer, singer, or musician in a dramatic or musical work
  • performed an artistic activity as a member of a professional artists' association that the Minister of Canadian Heritage has certified
  • created a painting, print, etching, drawing, sculpture, or similar work of art. For income tax purposes, it is not an artistic activity when you reproduce these items

Thanks for your response Brenda. The link you sent is for Employed Artists. Is it the same for self employed? Let me describe the situation. I created a temporary installation for an art festival 2019. I got about $8000 in combined contributions towards the project from the venue and host. I spent about $6000 in materials and rentals to make the installation. Does that mean I should claim the remainder ($2000) as income? Or should I claim all $8000 as income and $6000 in business expenses. It just seems like project materials are a different category than office stationary etc. Thank you!

You will claim your total income if it was $8000 and you will enter your expenses under either supplies or inventory. Make sure you have all your receipts in case CRA asks you for proof. 

Ok, thank you.