Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gordon_li

How do I claim my capital gains exemption for selling my shares in a qualified small business corporation in 2017?

I have completed schedule 3 but not getting the capital gains credit.

2 Replies

How do I claim my capital gains exemption for selling my shares in a qualified small business corporation in 2017?

If you are reporting the sale of Qualified Small Business Corporation Shares, you must specify the type of shares in Turbotax in order for it to properly post.

To report this in TurboTax Online, you will need to first report the Capital Gain in your Total Income, then the Capital Gains Deduction will be deducted before your Taxable Income is calculated.

Do so by going to:

• Income > Investments > Capital Gains & Capital Gains Deduction Profile.
  • Check the box - Sold stocks, bonds, real estate, other capital property, or sold qualified small business corporation shares and/or qualified farm property and you have a capital gain or loss to report.
  • Complete the information on the screen using Qualified Small Business Corporation as the "type of capital property".

Now 50% of your Proceeds of Disposition - ACB - Outlays & Expenses will post to Line 127, then be deducted on Line 254. 

jimf3

can you confirm it's possible to claim this exemption via the online software not just download or cd.

also

the reply tells me how to enter the capital gain but not how to enter that I qualify for the exemption.