Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim the extra 24,000 kms I drove as a homecare PSW that were not included on my T2200? I do have detailed logs.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I claim the extra 24,000 kms I drove as a homecare PSW that were not included on my T2200? I do have detailed logs.

As you have received a non-taxable motor vehicle allowance (and can show that your motor vehicle expenses are in excess of the allowance) you can include the amount of the allowance in income, and deduct your motor vehicle expenses for the full amount of KMs driven for employment. 

• To correctly enter this in TurboTax, complete the Employment Expenses section using the details you have kept in your log and your receipts. You do not need to make any special "per km calculations", as there is nowhere to enter these calculated figures in the software. TurboTax will do the calculating for you based on your entries.
The attached screenshots show where to make the entries and the resulting deduction on the Detailed Tax Summary
  1. The percentage is calculated based on your total KMs driven for work (3,200 + 24,000) and the total KMs driven during the year.
  2. Make your entries for Fuel, Maintenance, Insurance, etc in the appropriate fields.
  3. You will then be asked to "Enter the total of all rebates, motor vehicle allowances, and reimbursements for motor vehicle expenses you received that are not included in your income". The amount you received is now subtracted from your Employment Expense claim. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The amount on my T2200 only covers 3200 kms based on the CRA rate of .54/km and is not included on my T4 slip as taxable income.  My employer pays $12.00 for every 100 kms driven daily with a 40 km/day deductible, meaning I have days where I receive no consideration for kms driven.  I was told that I could voluntarily enter the amount on my T2200 as Other Employment Income and then claim all of the kms driven for employment, however I don't know how to do this?  Do I claim the kms as an amount (for example, first 5000 kms at .54 and remaining at .48 and enter the total somewhere?  I'm a homecare PSW if that helps.

As you have received a non-taxable motor vehicle allowance (and can show that your motor vehicle expenses are in excess of the allowance) you can include the amount of the allowance in income, and deduct your motor vehicle expenses for the full amount of KMs driven for employment. 

• To correctly enter this in TurboTax, complete the Employment Expenses section using the details you have kept in your log and your receipts. You do not need to make any special "per km calculations", as there is nowhere to enter these calculated figures in the software. TurboTax will do the calculating for you based on your entries.
The attached screenshots show where to make the entries and the resulting deduction on the Detailed Tax Summary
  1. The percentage is calculated based on your total KMs driven for work (3,200 + 24,000) and the total KMs driven during the year.
  2. Make your entries for Fuel, Maintenance, Insurance, etc in the appropriate fields.
  3. You will then be asked to "Enter the total of all rebates, motor vehicle allowances, and reimbursements for motor vehicle expenses you received that are not included in your income". The amount you received is now subtracted from your Employment Expense claim. 

Thank you TurboTaxKim 🙂  I guess I made it more confusing for myself by thinking too much about it!