Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 30, 2019 1:50:45 PM

How to delete the Canada Employment Amount for Self employed?

0 2 1313
2 Replies
Oct 30, 2019 1:50:47 PM

I have only self-employment income.  I also entered my self-employment income (T4) on Line 101 or 104.  So, how to delete the Canada Employment Amount?

Is self-employed doesn't need to enter T4?

Level 15
Oct 30, 2019 1:50:48 PM

You cannot remove the Canada Employment Amount if you have added a T4 as an "Employee". If you are self-employed you should be reporting your income as Self-Employed and different calculations are made on your tax return. 

As a self-employed sole proprietor, CRA requires you to report your income and expenses on the T2125 - Statement of Business Activities, not on a T4. Any CPP you are liable for is also calculated at this time and remitted when you file your personal tax return, not on a monthly basis as "Payroll Remittances". Sole Proprietors can only make monthly remittances (CPP, EI, Tax) and issue T4s for employees.

CRA does not consider the owner/proprietor of the business to be an employee and you do not pay yourself monthly. Your income is calculated when you file your tax return as total income minus expenses. Your tax payable and CPP contributions are calculated on the "net income" annually at tax time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed-incom...