Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a sole proprietor with 2 separate income sources. My husband and I have also started a partnership for our property. Can I claim all expenses together?

2 Replies

I am a sole proprietor with 2 separate income sources. My husband and I have also started a partnership for our property. Can I claim all expenses together?

Since a lot of expenses will be the same, you have to prorate them to portion them out to each business. 

I would start with the business you are sharing. You will enter each other as a partner. You will only need to enter the expenses once and it will create the business form for the other with the exact same information on it. The other will have to enter some info so do edit that one as well. For CCA, you each enter half the asset.  

Now when it comes to area of house, here is where you need to figure out if you are sharing the office space with the other 2 businesses. If yes, cut the office area in half or quarters respective to the time your spend there for each business. Again, for every business, things like property tax, mortgage interest, you are entering the exact same number. It is the area or square footage that turbotax will use to calculate out the $ that belongs with each business. 

I see you have the Assist and Review added as well. If you get stuck, you can reach out to my team and we can get you on your way. It is NOT a one time call. If you need a little help, reach out. We are here and ready to help right now. When  you have completed the returns, we can do the final review for you. You may even speak to me. 🙂

lmayhue

Good answer but not my question. The call was disconnected and I didn’t receive a callback. I initiated another conversation and had to go through the same story again and received a different answer. No I have to delete the second business and manually enter the same information 😡