Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twang090

I am in IT consulting, to maintain relationship, I give out gift cards to my potential clients, how can I deduct this as business expense

My friend told me to put it in the 'entertainment and meals' category for 50% deduction, is this correct?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am in IT consulting, to maintain relationship, I give out gift cards to my potential clients, how can I deduct this as business expense

I  am assuming you are self employed.

That being said, you would claim the gift cards as advertising and promotion.  You get to claim 100% rather than only half.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I  am assuming you are self employed.

That being said, you would claim the gift cards as advertising and promotion.  You get to claim 100% rather than only half.

Is this still relevant for 2016 returns?

Yes.