Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kat3

I have a 1042-S that is to be entered on Schedule 3 , section 3 but not sure where all the information is on the 1042-S that is required in section 3

I have a 1042-S and I have been told to enter the information in Schedule 3, Section 3 but I am not sure where all of the info is on 1042-S for Section 3.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a 1042-S that is to be entered on Schedule 3 , section 3 but not sure where all the information is on the 1042-S that is required in section 3

click "tslips" > Select "Foreign".

enter box 9 under Foreign capital gains/losses

Also enter any taxes paid to the US. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies

What boxes are filled in please?
kat3

Basically boxes 1 and 2.  One is a capital gains and the other is a dividend paid

So the capital gains will go on the gains line and the dividend goes to dividends and interest.
kat3

What sections on Schedule 3?
kat3

There is a letter that strictly says to use Schedule 3

When you post to the foreign screen like I said, it will post to the capital gains schedule 3.  The other is dividends and they go on Schedule 4. So Also, enter them on the foreign screen under dividends/interest.

Since these are US investments, they are considered foreign income and do NOT go directly on either schedule.

I'm even more confused then when I started.

1042-s Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding
Line)
1) income code
2) Gross income
3b) Tax rate
4a) Exemption code
7a) Federal tax Withheld
10) Total Withholding credit

Where do I put this info???

click "tslips" > Select "Foreign".

enter box 9 under Foreign capital gains/losses

Also enter any taxes paid to the US.