Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I live in remote zone A. My Spouse and I both claimed 2 trips for 2018 and neither of us recieved deductions for trips. Why is this?? we both have amount on box 32.

our T4 box 23 amounts were 6500 and 15000 so not sure if that has anything to do with it. 

3 Replies

I live in remote zone A. My Spouse and I both claimed 2 trips for 2018 and neither of us recieved deductions for trips. Why is this?? we both have amount on box 32.

Did you ensure that you made entries in all three boxes required to claim the "lowest" amount? 

To claim your Northern Residents Deduction (NRD) for Travel Benefits, you'll need to meet the CRA requirements for claiming the NRD first. If you determine you do qualify, you can claim the Travel Expenses for a trip you took anywhere.

Just remember that you are only allowed to claim the "lowest" amount of the three requirements:

1. The taxable travel benefits received from your employer - Box 32 of your T4 slip.
  2. The actual amount you paid for your trip.
  3. The lowest return airfare between the airport closest to your residence and the nearest designated city to that airport.

You'll find all the information from CRA on how to calculate this deduction in this link: https://bit.ly/2Oicba6

guy85

was searching for answers for something else and this post made me realize I missed out on last years return:( , but helped me correct this years 😄 

my question is; if the family traveled more than 2 times for vacation, multiple road trips. would I be able to claim for 2 trips putting the family under me. then have my spouse claim for 2 separate trips claiming the family under her. I doubt it but thought I would ask.

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA): Line 25500 - How much can you claim as a travel deduction?

Number of trips

You can claim, for other non-medical reasons, up to two trips that you took and up to two trips taken by each eligible family member. You also can claim any number of medical trips taken by you or an eligible family member. However, no more than two non-medical trips taken by any individual (themselves or an eligible family member) in a year can be claimed by all taxpayers combined.

For further information and clarification, please contact the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.