Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LM5

I moved in November 2018, but incurred moving expenses in both 2018 and 2019. Should I declare all moving expenses on my 2018 Income Tax, or report in the year occurred?

I moved from Alberta to Ontario November 2018. I have moving expenses that occurred in 2018, and I also have moving expenses that occurred in 2019. My furniture and vehicle weren't moved from Albert to Ontario until February 2019. When do I report my moving expenses? Do I report all moving expenses on my 2018 Income Tax even though some expenses didn't occur until 2019, or do I report expenses  that occurred and paid for in 2018 on my 2018 Income tax, and expenses that occurred in 2019 on my 2019 Income tax even though the expenses are related to my 2018 move?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I moved in November 2018, but incurred moving expenses in both 2018 and 2019. Should I declare all moving expenses on my 2018 Income Tax, or report in the year occurred?

You will report the moving expenses you paid in 2018 on your 2018 tax return. Remember these expenses cannot be more than the income you earned at your new location, so you may not be able to use them all and have to carry them forward.

Then in 2019, you will claim the expenses incurred that year, and any carry forward amounts you may have.

Here's some information from CRA on Moving Expenses: https://bit.ly/2TQeiZ0

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You will report the moving expenses you paid in 2018 on your 2018 tax return. Remember these expenses cannot be more than the income you earned at your new location, so you may not be able to use them all and have to carry them forward.

Then in 2019, you will claim the expenses incurred that year, and any carry forward amounts you may have.

Here's some information from CRA on Moving Expenses: https://bit.ly/2TQeiZ0