Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryan10

I'm being updated to Premier from Standard

I noted that I didn't have a T5 for investment income mistakenly and now after going back and changing that, I'm being forced into Premier from Standard. Is this correct and if so, why do I still have to pay extra for my wife. In the past I was able to do more than one return for $35 or so.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TTRS

Once you have been upgraded from one version to another, you cannot downgrade it. As one user commented, you can start over with a different username/password, but an easier solution is to create a new return under the same account. To do so, simply select Tools > Return manager, and create a new return. That way if you have carryforward data from a previous year, you can still bring it forward.

As for the initial question, if you select something in your tax profile (generally investment related in this instance) that needs to be done in premier, it will prompt you for the upgrade. If you made a mistake, you can cancel, go back and change your answers and the prompt should not re-appear.

As for the charge for your wife- it will still be charged at the Standard rate even if you upgrade to a different version, so for instance if you prepared a coupled return in standard, you would be charged 17.99 +17.99 (two Standards). If you were upgraded to premier, your charges would be 34.99 +17.99 (1 Premier plus 1 Standard)

View solution in original post

7 Replies

I made a mistake and I've been updated to Premier from Standard. How can I go back to Standard?
amber_j01

I also made an error and it updated me to premier but I can't get back to standard
brizuelaj

The solution was start again with a different username password etc.
TTRS

Once you have been upgraded from one version to another, you cannot downgrade it. As one user commented, you can start over with a different username/password, but an easier solution is to create a new return under the same account. To do so, simply select Tools > Return manager, and create a new return. That way if you have carryforward data from a previous year, you can still bring it forward.

As for the initial question, if you select something in your tax profile (generally investment related in this instance) that needs to be done in premier, it will prompt you for the upgrade. If you made a mistake, you can cancel, go back and change your answers and the prompt should not re-appear.

As for the charge for your wife- it will still be charged at the Standard rate even if you upgrade to a different version, so for instance if you prepared a coupled return in standard, you would be charged 17.99 +17.99 (two Standards). If you were upgraded to premier, your charges would be 34.99 +17.99 (1 Premier plus 1 Standard)

I need to clear 2014 standard from computer and load premier it wont work
neongen

This response is incorrect (at least for the 2021 & 2022 tax year).  When the one person needs to upgrade both needs to upgrade for the online version.

@neongen Yes, you are correct. The thread you are posting in is dated Oct 29, 2019, so the info is out of date.