Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I received a per diem as part of contract work. No receipts required. Is there a standard amount to deduct for meal expenses accepted by CRA?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a per diem as part of contract work. No receipts required. Is there a standard amount to deduct for meal expenses accepted by CRA?

There are a couple of ways to handle per diems as a contractor.  It is basically a cost recovery.  If you use accounting software, you would enter all of your travel expenses and enter the per diem as a recovery of those expenses to reduce income.  The trick is to prove reasonableness.  It also presupposes substantial travel away from your home.

The other way to prove reasonableness is to use the Treasury Board rates instead of actual receipts to prove your expenses and again use that calculation to demonstrate your per diem as reasonable recovery of expense instead of income.

The calculation is based on the number of days away from home. 

http://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/index.php?sid=98&lang=eng

View solution in original post

2 Replies

There are a couple of ways to handle per diems as a contractor.  It is basically a cost recovery.  If you use accounting software, you would enter all of your travel expenses and enter the per diem as a recovery of those expenses to reduce income.  The trick is to prove reasonableness.  It also presupposes substantial travel away from your home.

The other way to prove reasonableness is to use the Treasury Board rates instead of actual receipts to prove your expenses and again use that calculation to demonstrate your per diem as reasonable recovery of expense instead of income.

The calculation is based on the number of days away from home. 

http://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/index.php?sid=98&lang=eng

Tibs

Is the per diem paid to contractors subject to HST? ie. If you pay $50 per diem allowance, do you include HST on top of that? CRA rules are not clear.