Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doellb

I use my personal vehicle for work. I am reimbursed 55 cents per kilometre. Am I permitted to debut the loan, maintenance, depreciation and or any other expenses?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I use my personal vehicle for work. I am reimbursed 55 cents per kilometre. Am I permitted to debut the loan, maintenance, depreciation and or any other expenses?

No, if you are being reimbursed on a milage basis as an employee you cannot claim employment expenses for vehicle use. Only if your employer issued you a T2200 and ceased to reimburse you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

No, if you are being reimbursed on a milage basis as an employee you cannot claim employment expenses for vehicle use. Only if your employer issued you a T2200 and ceased to reimburse you.
doellb

Thank you for your prompt reply -that is what I thought - a friend of mine, who pays an accountant to do his taxes, has been been claiming everything except fuel - he has been claiming maintenance, interest on the loan, depreciation. Perhaps his accountant did not know he was also receiving 46 cents per kilometre.
Is there a difference if I am self employed, which I am?
jas231
Returning Member

I was facing same trouble this year. I was employed as sales rep for a company. My employer did not issued me t2200 form.HR never sent it to me. I searched so much as I was doing my own taxes. Hope you are right that we can not claim if we get reimbursed?? It would be a great help if you can confirm with me. Thanks

Yes, that is correct. Since your employer is paying you 55cents per KM, then never provided you with a T2200 you can't claim anything else as you are not self-employed.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax