Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jga
Returning Member

I used ebates (rakuten) to earn cashback on a business purchase. Do I report that as income?

Scenario one: I used ebates (now called rakuten.ca ) to buy equipment for my business. The equipment is substantial enough to go under a CCA category. The ebates rebate accounts for about 12% of the total cost of that equipment. 

Where does the ebates (rakuten.ca) rebate payment go? Is it "other income"? Or is the cost of equipment adjusted to reflect what I got after the rebate?

Note: this is not really a discount, or is it?  The product receipt is the full, retail price amount. The ebates (rakuten) rebate comes after 3 months via Paypal. 

Scenario two: I use ebates to buy supplies and minor equipment for my business. It's not enough to count as CCA (under $200). Where does the cash back from the ebates purchase go? Income? Or adjust the cost of the equipment and supplies?

Scenario three: I buy something via ebates (rakuten) and use it partially for my business. How is the product expense calculated? As just the portion I want to claim for business use? Or the whole amount? And then the ebates (rakuten) cashback scenario - is only that same percentage portion claimed as income? Or is all of it claimed as income?

Speaking of Turbo Tax Online, and being self employed as a freelancer, sole proprietor.

1 Reply

I used ebates (rakuten) to earn cashback on a business purchase. Do I report that as income?

Generally, cash back and similar rewards are not taxable, unless you earned them on business purchases, but then redeemed them for actual cash.